A Word from Cheryl:


Thank you for visiting my Concert Review Blog. I have enjoyed attending, photographing and writing about a variety of concerts over the past several years. I hope that my reviews and photos have made you feel like you were right there with me.


At this time in my life I've taken a step back, looked at what’s truly important and have begun to prioritize my time, energy and resources.

I retired from nursing in 2012 and was then able to be with my aging father, who later passed away in June, 2013.

My family is growing dramatically! We now have eight grandchildren and I take every opportunity to be available to help when needed. I also make sure I carve out plenty of time for my husband so that he knows how important he is to me.

Because of this I don't attend many concerts anymore. I try to be selective in choosing a show and do my best to relax and enjoy the experience. I no longer stress about getting the perfect photo or remembering some occurrence so I can write about it.

If you want to view a collection of some of my favorite photos from the past several years you may find them here:
Cheryl's Pearls Photos - Concerts

Thanks again for visiting my site.

May God Bless,
Cheryl

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chris Young - Benefit Performance for St. Jude



CHRIS YOUNG IN STERLING, VA

The last time I saw Chris Young perform in person was at Dave & Buster’s in Nashville, TN in 2007 so I was really looking forward to his performance on January 15th at Rock ‘N Rodeo in Sterling, VA.  This concert was billed as a benefit for St. Jude Children’s Hospital.  Chris has always been an avid supporter, sharing about his visits to the hospital and encouraging people to give.  One hundred percent of the $10 admission price went to support St. Jude and by evening’s end at least $12,000 had been raised.

Chris sang several selections from his new album including the title cut “The Man I Want to Be.”  The lively songs “That Makes Me” and “Twenty-One Candles” were enthusiastically received by the crowd.  He prefaced “Voices” as being a song about his family and thanked country radio and all his fans for making “Getting You Home” a number one hit for him.

Chris threw the audience a curve when he covered ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man” but they soon caught on and started singing along.  Chris was also able to pull several selections from his debut album and had folks join him on such songs as “Beer and Gasoline,” “Drinking Me Lonely,” and “Lay It On Me.”  There were several female volunteer chauffeurs after he sang “Who’s Gonna Take Me Home?”

Chris comes across as genuine and sincere and he appeared to be having as much fun on stage as we did watching him.  I had a great time!

Opening for Chris were The Gypsy Sons, a local foursome from Alexandria, VA with rock & roll leanings in the style of Aerosmith and Jimi Hendrix.  They had quite a following in the audience with much cheering and support.



Also appearing was Jonathan Singleton and The Grove from Jackson, TN.  Jonathan is a singer/songwriter/guitarist who has penned such hits as “Don’t” for Billy Currington; “Red Light” for David Nail; “Watching Airplanes” for Gary Allan; and “Why Don’t We Just Dance?” for Josh Turner.  He and his band have opened for artists like Blake Shelton, Eric Church, and Carrie Underwood and will soon be touring with Montgomery Gentry on their Country Throwdown Tour this summer.  Their style has been honed over the years and is one that combines alternative country with classic country.  They have recently released their debut single called “Livin’ In Paradise,” available on iTunes and it’s definitely worth a listen.  Their fan base has been steadily growing as evidenced by the significant number of faithful supporters in the crowd and judging by the response to their performance in Sterling I’d say they have gained some Virginia fans as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment