AMERICAN IDOL COMES TO D.C.My husband and I enjoyed being “armchair judges” as we watched Season 10 of American Idol. We each had our favorites and decided it would be fun to see them perform live when the Tour came to the Verizon Center August 19.
We were pleasantly surprised to discover a new and improved American Idol Tour compared to years past. Previously contestants would come out to perform in the order they were eliminated so you would have to wait a long time to see your favorite if they were closer to the top. This time there were more group numbers and duets mixed in plus contestants were utilized as background singers for occasional solo performances. Of course if your favorite happened to be the winner, Scotty McCreery, you had to wait for the second half of the show before he even set foot on the stage.
Now I’m sure everyone who watched American Idol has an opinion on who’s a better singer or performer and I’m not here to debate that, I’m simply sharing my personal observations.
• Thia Megia is cute as a button and I was surprised by her poise on stage. She waved and engaged the younger crowd.
• Naima Adedapo is a live wire and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her dance as much as listening to her sing. She appeared very comfortable on stage.
• Pia Toscano has a beautiful voice and is a lovely girl but she just didn’t seem to connect with the audience.
• Paul McDonald seemed to enjoy performing in such a big arena and was mildly successful in getting folks to stand and sing.
• Stefano Langone worked the stage and the crowd but I failed to see the need for him to yank off his shirt just as the lights dimmed.
• Casey Abrams played his bass fiddle in addition to singing and looked as though he was having a great time engaging the ladies in the front row.
• To be honest I hadn’t been blown away by Jacob Lusk but on stage he sang with utter abandon and pure enjoyment. He was truly fun to watch.
• It took a while for us to locate James Durbin because he entered from the rear of the Verizon Center and made his way through the crowd and onto the stage for his set. He was energetic, enthusiastic and hit some pretty amazing notes.
• Haley Reinhart was sultry and saucy and I was a bit surprised by the lack of participation when she invited the audience to sing along on “Benny and the Jets.” It begs the question: are folks are still put out by the fact that James was eliminated before Haley?
• I’m sorry those who had tickets for the Baltimore show didn’t get a chance to hear Lauren Alaina due to her vocal problems but she was in full voice in D.C. I only noticed an occasional rasp when she spoke. Her performance was solid and I have a feeling once the tour is over and she is completely rested she will be even better.
• After a tremendous build up and introduction, Scotty McCreery finally took the stage. He was relaxed, comfortable and thankfully no longer held the microphone like a flute. Scotty was definitely the crowd favorite and he acknowledged this with several handshakes, waves and nods.
For more photos see: American Idol Live Tour Photos by C Walker
AMERICAN IDOLS LIVE 2011 TOUR SET LIST:
1. The Girls – “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga
2. Pia Toscano – Empire State of Mind by Alicia Keys & Jay z
3. Pia Toscano and Stefano Langone – “California King Bed” by Rihanna
4. Paul McDonald – Maggie May by Rod Stewart
5. Thia Megia – “Who Says” by Selena Gomez
6. Pia, Thia, Haley & Naima – “Tightrope” by Janelle Monae
7. Stefano Langone – “Grenade” by Bruno Mars
8. Stefano Langone and the Girls doing “DJ Got Us Falling In Love.” by Usher
9. Guys w/o Scotty- “Animal” by Neon Trees
10. Naima Adedapo – “On The Floor” by Jennifer Lopez
11. Pia Toscano – New Single! “This Time”
12. Lauren, Pia and Thia – “Firework”
13. Casey Abrams – “Smooth” by Rob Thomas and Santana
14. Casey Abrams and Haley Reinhart – Moanin
15. Casey Abrams – Harder to Breath by Maroon 5
16. Group Number – “Forget You” – Minus Scotty
17. Lauren Alaina – “Flat on the Floor” by Carrie Underwood
18. Lauren Alaina – “Like My Mother Does” New Single!
19. Lauren, Haley, Thia, and Stefano – “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry
20. James Durbin – “Sweet Child o’ Mine” by Guns and Roses
21. James Durbin – “Uprising” by Muse
22. Jacob Lusk – “Never Too Much” by Luther Vandross
23. Jacob Lusk with Pia, Naima and Stefano – “You’re All I Need To Get By” by Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell
24. Haley Reinhart – “House of the Rising Sun”
25. Haley Reinhart – “Bennie and the Jets”
26. Scotty McCreery – “Your Man” by Josh Turner
27. Scotty McCreery – “Are You Going to Kiss Me Or Not” by Thompson Square
28. Scotty McCreery – “I Love You This Big” New single!
29. Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina – “When You Say Nothing At All” by Alison Krause
30. Scotty McCreery with Lauren, Thia, Pia and Haley – “Gone” by Montgomery Gentry
Entire Group: Medley James & Lauren – “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake, Paul, Haley & Casey join with “Faithfully” by Journey, Stefano & Naima Adedapo join with “Walk This Way” by Aerosmith, Thia & Jacob join and everyone