A Word from Cheryl:


Thank you for visiting my Concert Review Blog. I have enjoyed attending, photographing and writing about a variety of concerts over the past several years. I hope that my reviews and photos have made you feel like you were right there with me.


At this time in my life I've taken a step back, looked at what’s truly important and have begun to prioritize my time, energy and resources.

I retired from nursing in 2012 and was then able to be with my aging father, who later passed away in June, 2013.

My family is growing dramatically! We now have eight grandchildren and I take every opportunity to be available to help when needed. I also make sure I carve out plenty of time for my husband so that he knows how important he is to me.

Because of this I don't attend many concerts anymore. I try to be selective in choosing a show and do my best to relax and enjoy the experience. I no longer stress about getting the perfect photo or remembering some occurrence so I can write about it.

If you want to view a collection of some of my favorite photos from the past several years you may find them here:
Cheryl's Pearls Photos - Concerts

Thanks again for visiting my site.

May God Bless,
Cheryl

Friday, November 2, 2012

Brandon Heath Concert in North Carolina




BLUE MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE

My husband, Phil, and I were driving into the mountains of North Carolina for a week of vacation when Phil noticed a sign that said “Brandon Heath Appearing Here November 1st.”  The location was only about an hour from our destination and we agreed it would be fun to go.  Eventually we went on-line and purchased tickets for the concert which included early admission and a Meet & Greet with Brandon Heath.

On the day of the show we were ushered into a meeting room.  Heath came in and talked to us about his new album, “Blue Mountain.”  He told us he had been looking forward to this particular concert in Mills River, NC because it was so close to Asheville where the album had been recorded.

“Blue Mountain is literally just a place in my imagination,” said Heath.  “It actually comes from a C.S. Lewis quote where he talks about how some people are like mountains – blue and mysterious in the distance but when you get up close to them they’re brown and green, nothing mysterious at all.”
“I thought “if I want to tell a story about Blue Mountain I need to talk about the people who live there.”  So I made up songs about a guy who’s a coal miner, a man who lives on death row, a young couple living on Blue Mountain – all these people are telling the story about who or what Blue Mountain really is.  As I’m telling the story, like so many authors do, I’m really revealing who I am through these characters.”


Heath serenades couple
Heath played us a song called “Paul Brown Petty” from the new album then asked if anyone had a song they would like to hear.  A newlywed couple asked for “Heavenly Day,” one of Heath’s songs used for their first dance at their wedding.  He agreed to sing it provided they got up and danced (which they did).


We then had our photos taken with Brandon Heath, received autographed copies of “Blue Mountain” and went into the auditorium for the concert.

Matt Maher
Micah Bournes
Micah Bournes gave a dramatic reading prior to Matt Maher’s opening act.  Maher performed several of his hits – “Alive Again,” “Hold Us Together,” and “Rise Up,” to name a few.  His popularity with the crowd was evident by the large amount of audience participation singing along with him.

 
Brandon Heath

Another Micah Bournes reading ushered in Brandon Heath’s performance which included four No. 1 hits: "I'm Not Who I Was," "Wait and See," the 2009 GMA Dove Award-winning Song of the Year, "Give Me Your Eyes," and the eight-week chart topper, "Your Love."


Brandon Heath after intermission
Following a brief intermission with a Food for the Hungry promotion, Heath returned to the stage.  I noticed a costume change had taken place, possibly to help get into character to tell the stories of Blue Mountain.  Heath gave us the background story for many of the songs which made the concert highly entertaining.  Some of my personal favorites include “The Harvester,” “Diamond,” “Jesus In Disguise,” and “He Paid It All.”

Singing back-up for Heath were The Church Sisters, 16 year old twins Sarah & Savannah, who also sang their own bluegrass rendition of The Issacs’ “Heros.”  Heath was later joined by Matt Maher to sing Maher’s “Your Grace Is Enough.”

This was by far one of my favorite concert experiences and I would highly recommend Heath’s new album.  Phil and I came away with hearts uplifted and smiles on our faces.  This was indeed a Blue Mountain adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment